Proper Handwashing Procedure
for Kansas Body Art Practitioners
Practitioners should not have artificial nails or single point piercings on their hands.
1. Remove all jewelry from hands and wrists except plain wedding bands.
2. Turn water on and adjust the temperature to hot.
3. Wet hands.
4. Apply soap.
5. Wash hands and your forearms up to your elbows with friction and in a rotary action for approximately 20 seconds, use nail brush to remove dirt under the nails if necessary.
6. Rinse hands well under running water without touching the sink.
7. Dry hands well.
8. Turn water off without contamination.
9. Proceed to procedure area without contamination.
* OSHA: Change gloves. 1910.1030(d) (2) (v) Employers shall ensure that employees wash their hands immediately or as soon as feasible after removal of gloves or other personal protective equipment.
Each practitioner shall follow universal precautions in ALL cases.
Note: A PDF reader program is required to view
some of the information contained on this website. If you do not have this
application installed on your computer, a free version can be downloaded
by clicking the following icon:
If you are unable to read any of the information contained
on this website, please contact the Kansas Board of Cosmetology. We will be happy to assist you.
714 SW Jackson, Jayhawk Walk Building, Suite 100,
Phone: (785) 296-3155 * Fax (785) 296-3002 * Email
Chiquita C. Coggs, Executive Director
KBOC Customer Service Survey