for Kansas Body Piercers
BODY PIERCING PROCEDURE
1. Wash hands. (Proper Handwashing Procedure)
2. Don gloves.*
3. Clean piercing site using a FDA registered antiseptic solution with a clean single use paper product.
4. Shave if necessary.
5. Dispose of razor, without recapping, immediately into sharps container.
6. Rewash skin.
7. Change gloves.*
8. Measure and mark piercing site properly.
9. Use appropriate skin marker that is disposable, alcohol based, or one capable of being cleaned.
10. Use a clamp or method to support the tissue being pierced.
11. Use a sterilized needle.
12. Secure needle properly (engineer control).
13. Insert jewelry in a smooth manner, pushing snuggly behind the needle.
14. Discard needle, with engineer control in place, directly into a sharps container.
15. Close jewelry with appropriate tools.
16. Check client’s health status.
17. Clean piercing site with FDA registered antiseptic solution using a clean single use paper product.
18. Properly remove gloves (without snapping).* (Proper Glove Removal)
19. Reinforce aftercare instructions by giving your client verbal and written aftercare instructions.
20. Proceed to disinfecting the work area, including chairs.
* OSHA: Change gloves. 1910.1030(d)(2)(v) Employers shall ensure that employees wash their hands immediately or as soon as feasible after removal of gloves or other personal protective equipment.
Each practitioner shall follow universal precautions in ALL cases.
Note: A PDF reader program is required to view
some of the information contained on this website. If you do not have this
application installed on your computer, a free version can be downloaded
by clicking the following icon:
If you are unable to read any of the information contained
on this website, please contact the Kansas Board of Cosmetology. We will be happy to assist you.
714 SW Jackson, Jayhawk Walk Building, Suite 100,
Phone: (785) 296-3155 * Fax (785) 296-3002 * Email
Chiquita C. Coggs, Executive Director
KBOC Customer Service Survey