WebFile Help

Home  /  Webfile Help

WebFile Help

Welcome to the WebFile Help Center to assist you with your Kansas Individual Tax Return questions.

You may contact the Kansas Department of Revenue for tax-related questions and please contact Kansas.gov for technical support questions between the normal business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, Monday-Friday.

For additional assistance, please see below for frequently asked questions and answers from users of WebFile.

Sign Up/Sign in

How do I create a Kansas.gov account?
To obtain a Kansas.gov account and gain access to the WebFile service, an e-mail address and password are required. If you do not currently have an e-mail address, many e-mail providers offer the service for free. Yahoo and Hotmail are the most common free e-mail providers, or you may use another e-mail provider of your choice.
To request additional help, please click here.
How do I sign in to WebFile?
Go to the WebFile home page, click on either the “File Now” button in the main part of the page, or on the “Sign In” link found in the navigation menu near the top of the page. This will take you to the Kansas.gov User Management Portal. Here, you will enter your e-mail address and password and then click the “Sign In” button to continue. If you have not yet registered with Kansas.gov, please click the “Sign Up” link in the navigation menu near the top of the page. If you are registering a new account with Kansas.gov, follow the directions provided to create your account, then return to the WebFile home page and sign in with your new account information. Once you are signed in successfully, your browser will return to display your dashboard within the WebFile service.
To request additional help, please click here.
What happens if I get a message that reads "Your sign in information does not match the information on file?"
You will need to contact the Kansas Department of Revenue and have your WebFile account reset. To request additional help, please click here.
How do I obtain a new password?
If you cannot sign in because you forgot your password, click on the “Forgot Password?” link next to the “Sign In” button. On the “Forgot Password” page, enter your e-mail address and click the “Submit” button. If your e-mail address exists in the system (you have previously registered with that address), the system will send password retrieval instructions to that address. Follow the instructions, retrieve your password, and return to the sign in screen. To request additional help, please click here.
How do I obtain my PIN?
Contact the Kansas Department of Revenue if you do not know your PIN. In place of a PIN, you may optionally enter the total amount from the return you filed last year, either the refunded amount or the amount due. The PIN is used to help protect you from a third party trying to take control of your account by guessing your SSN alone, by providing another level of authentication. To request additional help, please click here.


Who may file?
Kansas residents and non-residents who filed an Income tax return with Kansas in the previous tax year may use Webfile, even if you itemize deductions. You may not file an extension, a Homestead Refund Claim (K-40H), or use WebFile if you have a Kansas adjusted gross income of greater than $9,999,999. Since, the K-120EX form won't be digitized, people filing that form will need to be advised that they cannot use WebFile.
What do I need to file?
You will need the following information when utilizing WebFile:
  • Your access code and last year’s refund or balance due amount. For filing amended return, you will use your adjusted refund or balance due.
  • If you are a Kansas resident and a first time filer, you will need information from your W-2 form.
  • A completed 2012 Federal income tax return, if you are required to file.
  • All of your W-2 statements.
  • A Web browser that can handle 128-bit encryption (since this is a secure site), includes most U.S. versions of Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and other browsers.
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader as some State and Federal tax forms are available online only as Adobe PDF files. You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free to view and print these files.
  • A printer if you want to print your filing confirmation page, a summary of your filing, a payment voucher form, or tax schedule forms.
To request additional help, please click here.
What should I do if my address changed since I filed my last Kansas tax form?
If your address changed from last year, you are still able to use WebFile. Please enter your new address information when prompted and select the "Name or Address" change box. To request additional help, please click here.
Why does the Schedule S not display in WebFile?
If you need to complete information for Schedule A, you MUST answer “Yes” to the question pertaining to the Schedule S – Part A on the first page of “Intro Questions.” This question clearly asks whether you have modifications to your Federal adjusted gross income. To request additional help, please click here.
How many exemptions can I claim?
The number of exemptions you claim for Kansas is the same number claimed on your Federal return. However, if you file as "Head of Household" on your Federal return you are allowed to claim one additional exemption on your Kansas return. If you file as "Head of Household," WebFile automatically includes the additional Kansas exemption . If another person claims you as a dependent on their return, you may not claim an exemption for yourself on your Kansas return. To request additional help, please click here..
Will I need to mail anything to the Kansas Department of Revenue?
Please do NOT mail any W-2's or 1099 forms. However, you must complete and mail or fax the appropriate schedules to claim some tax credits. You may access printable copies (in Adobe PDF file format) of the schedules online. If you underpaid (owe) and choose to pay using a personal check or money order, you must print a file payment voucher form, fill it out, and mail it with your payment to Kansas Department of Revenue. You do NOT need to mail a copy of your tax return with your voucher form. You MUST mail the voucher form and payment to the Kansas Department of Revenue to complete your tax return filing. Please mail the schedules and voucher form with payment to:
  • Kansas Income Tax
  • Kansas Department of Revenue
  • 915 SW Harrison St.
  • Topeka, KS 66699-1000
Please fax schedules to:
  • (785) 296-8989
To request additional help, please click here.
Will I be able to print a copy of my tax return that I have filed?
Yes, after you finish filing online, you may print a summary of your tax return information. Select the link to your summary from the WebFile confirmation page, and then select the Print button within your Web browser to print a copy. The summary will also include your WebFile confirmation number. Please note that you do NOT need to mail it in. To request additional help, please click here.


Am I able to amend a return using WebFile?
Yes, whether you originally filed online through WebFile or through another method, you may amend your 2013 tax return filing. For other tax years, you must must file amendments on paper. If you filed through WebFile originally: go to the WebFile Dashboard, locate the completed filing you want to amend, and select the Start New Filing button below it. This will automatically start an amended filing. (To verify this, you may then select Cancel. When you return to the Dashboard, you will see an Amended filing in progress, which you may complete at your leisure with the Continue Filing button.) If you did NOT file through WebFile originally: go to the WebFile Dashboard, select Start New Filing, and respond Yes to the question "Are you amending a 2013 return?" Later you will be asked the type of amendment you wish to file. Also, you MUST enter either the payment made or the overpayment with the original return, even if the original return was not filed using WebFile. If zero, please leave these fields blank. For years prior to 2013, use the appropriate form below from the Kansas Department of Revenue: To request additional help, please click here.


Is WebFile secure?
Security of the systems and network is of utmost importance to Kansas.gov. The portal endures many intrusive security audits and evaluations on a rigorous schedule, in order to comply with various standards: PCI/DSS, Sarbanes Oxley, CyberTrust Security Management Program, as well as an annual third-party security audit. To request additional help, please click here.
Will my information be kept confidential?
Income tax information disclosed to the Kansas Department of Revenue, either on returns or through department investigation, is held in strict confidence by law. The Kansas Department of Revenue, Internal Revenue Service, and several other states have an agreement under which some income tax information is exchanged. This is to verify the accuracy and consistency of information reported on Federal and Kansas Income Tax returns. To request additional help, please click here.
2014 Best of Web Finalist
Back to Top