The Kansas Board of Cosmetology regulates cosmetologists, estheticians, nail technologists, cosmetology establishments, including salons and schools. The Board also regulates body art practitioners and establishments and tanning facilities. The Board also has authority over unlicensed persons practicing a profession regulated by the Board.
The mission of the Board is to protect the health and safety of the consuming public by licensing qualified individuals and enforcing standards of practice in the professions regulated by the Board.
Types of complaints reviewed by the Board
Types of complaints not reviewed by the Board
- Unlicensed individuals and establishments
- Health and sanitation violations
- Fraud, False/Deceptive Advertising
- Fee and price disputes
- Poor customer service
- Dissatisfaction with service provided
What the Board cannot do:
- Provide legal advice.
- Obtain monetary damages to compensate you or to resolve fee disputes, which are civil matters. If you are seeking reimbursement or damages, please consult an attorney.
- Impose criminal penalties. If you believe your allegations may constitute a crime, please contact your local law enforcement agency.
How do I file a complaint?
- All complaints must be received in writing on the Board complaint form.
- Anonymous complaints are not accepted.
- Complete the Board complaint form; provide the requested information; sign the form; attach copies of any documents which relate to the complaint; and email, fax or mail it to the Board office.
- You may also request a Board complaint form by calling (785) 296-3155 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Will my complaint be confidential?
- Your complaint will become a public record. In addition, a copy of the complaint may be sent to the licensee/individual who is the subject of the complaint. You may also be asked to complete a sworn affidavit and/or called on to produce evidence or testify regarding your allegations.
What happens next?
- Upon receipt of your complaint, the Board will determine if your complaint comes under the Board’s authority.
- You will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of your complaint.
- If the Board determines that your complaint is a possible violation of laws regulated by the Board, it will be investigated and you may be contacted for additional information.
- In some complaints we will determine that the matter should be closed, and in others, we will seek and may obtain discipline against the Respondent.
- If the complaint results in disciplinary action, the Respondent will have the opportunity to request a hearing. You may be asked to testify at the hearing.
How long will it take?
The Board endeavors to resolve all complaints promptly, some matters will take longer than others to resolve due to the nature and complexity of the complaint.
To file a complaint please complete the Board complaint form.
You may E-mail the form to: email@example.com
or you may fax or mail the form per the information below.
Kansas Board of Cosmetology
714 SW Jackson, Suite 100
Topeka, Kansas 66603
If you are unable to read any of the information contained
on this website, please contact the Kansas Board of Cosmetology at the following
address or telephone number. We will be happy to assist you.
714 SW Jackson, Jayhawk Walk Building, Suite 100,
Phone: (785) 296-3155 * Fax (785) 296-3002 * firstname.lastname@example.org
Chiquita C. Coggs, Executive Director